My Shopping List
Chicken and Okra Creole
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 28 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
+ 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into bite-size pieces (350 g)
+ 1 c. diced onions (250 mL)
+ 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in. (2.5 cm) pieces
+ 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in. (2.5 cm) pieces
+ 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
+ 6 oz. fresh or frozen and thawed okra, cut into 1/2-in. (1 cm) slices (170 g)
+ 1 can (14.5 oz./428 mL) no-salt- added stewed tomatoes
+ 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves (7 mL)
+ 1/4 c. finely chopped parsley or green onion (60 mL)
+ 2 tsp. Louisiana hot sauce (10 mL)
+ 1/2 tsp. salt (2 mL)
+ 2 c. cooked brown rice (500 mL)
What to do:
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 3 minutes or until slightly pink in center, stirring occasionally. Set aside on separate plate.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil and cook onions and peppers for 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to lightly brown on edges. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes, thyme, and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and salt. Cover and let stand 5 minutes to absorb flavors.
4. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Serve the chicken mixture over rice.
* Recipe courtesy of Nancy Hughes, cookbook author, Mobile Ala. and CanolaInfo.
Calories: 340; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 420mg;